Friday 2 August 2013

A Little Piece of Story

Join me in the Five Minute Friday Challenge hosted by Lisa-Jo Baker. Participants write for 5 minutes with no editing, no over thinking, and no backtracking. This week’s word is: Story.

undefined

(Go)

If there’s one thing we all share in this house - it’s an appreciation for a good book.

Books and I go way back. I remember gathering around Mum as she read us bedtime stories by ‘Uncle Arthur’. The morals of which have stayed with me. I loved listening to her read to us. I still do.

Another fond memory from childhood is that of my third grade teacher putting on different voices for each character as we progressively made our way through the adventures of ‘The Muddle Headed Wombat.’ The stories are endearing enough. The way she told them made them all the more so.

You don’t hear about that fuddled fellow so much these days. So when a big book of tales appeared in the local bookshop, you can be sure I hung the expense and bought it anyway.

As my children and I laugh our way through Wombat, Mouse, and Tabby Cat’s escapades - I can’t help but feel that a little piece of my story is becoming a part of theirs… in its own special way.


(Stop)

Now, your turn…


14 comments:

  1. Love it! I too like to keep my childhood tradition going fro my three children. Beautifully written... x

    http://lifeandallgoodthings.com/2013/08/02/5-minute-friday-story/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrying on your own childhood traditions with your own kids is an extra kind of special :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh! What can we read together next week? Maybe I can read Dr Seuss' Sleep Book to E and you can listen in. That is one of my favourite memories with C. Once again a warm heartful you have written here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yes please!! Lol! That is a very good story - haven't read it for a while. Must be about time we got it out again :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Lizzy
    I feel the same about the stories of my childhood which I shared with my sons as well! You sort of re-lived the pleasure all over again!
    Luv XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good stuff isn't it? Blessings

      Delete
  4. Returning your visit from last Friday...
    Stories have a remarkable way of transcending generations. Some of my favorites growing up were the same ones my mom read as a young girl, and I hope to pass them along to my daughter. There are very few other things that can stand the test of time in the same way as a good story.

    http://raisingamommy.blogspot.com/2013/08/fmf-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I treasured reading from the very same books as my mother too. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Say yes to books!!!!!!! I love books too, but I am afraid the ‘The Muddle Headed Wombat.’ never made it to the USA. At least not that I know of! That sounds really amusing :). Here an amusing series we loved as children were the books about Amelia Bedelia. She was a character that took everything quite literally (for example when asked to make a sponge cake she cut up sponges to put in cake batter-giggle). I love reading to children. You painted such a cozy little picture here of time well spent with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, The Muddled Headed Wombat is an Australian classic. Google it and you will find plenty about it. This is the 'big book' we purchased - although there are many other stories too. http://www.booktopia.com.au/the-muddleheaded-wombat-ruth-park/prod9780732284367.html

      Once we are finished reading these we might just have to go and raid the library to see what they have ;)

      Delete
  6. I did not grow up in a home where books were often read. I read to my children when they were young and miss those times. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading snuggled together on the couch is a wonderful thing indeed! Blessings.

      Delete
  7. Sweet post and blog! I love reading with my little ones, and as we start our homeschooling journey this fall, I know we'll have many more reading memories in our future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading together makes such great memories, doesn't it?! Blessings :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...