Sunday 30 September 2012

Just Hold On!


After a long day, the kids' bedtime had finally arrived. We were going through the usual motions. If you’re a parent you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

“Did you really wash your face? The remnants of dinner are still plastered on your cheeks.”

“Now go clean your teeth, and try not to swallow the toothpaste before you begin!”

“Please don’t forget to hang up your towel.”

Daddy was helping the youngest get dressed when he (unknowingly) said something really profound. Immediately I reached for the laptop and made note of his wisdom. Dumbfounded he looked at me, “Huh? What did I say?”

Working very hard on his balancing skills, my son was trying to get his feet into the pyjama pants held out for him. But without taking his usual grasp of sturdy arms, he wobbled all over the place and was unsuccessful. Until Daddy said, “I don’t want you to balance. Just hold onto me.”

Hmm…

I married a very wise man!

How many times do we try to figure things out on our own? How many times do we think it’s all up to us?

But God says…

1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.(NIV)

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

A very busy couple of weeks are staring me down. How am I going to get everything done? I get overwhelmed and exhausted just thinking about it. Like my son, I’ve been trying to put the pyjama pants on in my own strength.

My husband may have been directing those words to our son, but really I know that God was saying them to me.

I don’t want you to balance. Just hold on to me!

6 comments:

  1. Cute story and great point! I do the same thing (try to do things in my own strength). Why is it so hard to remember God has us and quit trying to do it all on our own? I think it's something I need to remind myself daily :) Praise God for this wisdom .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. often times He uses the simple things to teach us great things. Bless you heaps :o)

      Delete
  2. That is a wonderful point! I'm going to remember that!

    Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Judi. Blessings to you :o)

      Delete
  3. Don't you love when we learn in the most unexpected moments! I remember saying, "GOD, I'm trying so hard.." only to hear Him say, "And THAT is the problem, let go, stop trying and let Me do it.."
    http://jennmomsnotlikeus.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-problem-is-im-trying-so-hard.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love to hear what you're thinking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...